Online Submission Of Lab Reports
Chem21Labs converts YOUR LABS / LAB REPORTS into interactive webpages that benefit the laboratory experience much like online homework has for the lecture course. In the conversion process . . . .
- content specialists add interactivity and animation to YOUR LABS and bring YOUR CONTENT into the media of the 21st Century.
- your students follow YOUR LAB GUIDE to conduct the lab and gather results.
- your students submit their lab results to a fully interactive webpage that our Content Specialists have customized to YOUR SPECIFICATIONS.
Online Submission = Immediate Feedback + Real-Time Grading
This fully-customized, web-based approach embeds an essential learning component . . . . immediate feedback. When students discover in real-time that a lab answer is incorrect, it immediately spurs more thought and focused attention on the "specific issue" they have encountered - they do not have to wait days or weeks to discover there "was an issue" with their work. Your technology-infused lab curriculum will create learning opportunities with feedback before, during and after the in-class lab experience . . . . and adding our technology will reduce your grading load . . . a WIN . . WIN for both Students and Instructors.
- Students access YOUR chemistry lab guide as a pdf file or an interactive HTML5 digital webpage and perform the lab.
- Students login to their Chem21Labs account and enter their lab data.
- Students submit their lab answers . . . . calculations, balanced equations, multiple choice, essay, upload images etc.
- For calculations, the program checks the student's answer against the correct answer ± the tolerance set by the lab instructor on the Problem Setup webpage.
- Students have up to three Tries to enter the correct answer - the Instructor determines the points earned for each Try on the Problem Setup webpage.
- If the 3rd Try is incorrect, students are shown how the correct answer is calculated using their own data and are instructed to use this correct answer in future calculations.
- For lab data that must be graphed, our program displays the graphed data to the student and then provides step-by-step Excel instructions that the student follows to determine slope, y-intercept, R2 and standard deviations - values that have already been determined by Chem21Labs program so that the student entry can be automatically graded.
- When student pH data is displayed as a graph on the webpage, the Chem21Labs program calculates pka1, pka2, pH at 1st and 2nd equivalence points and all the corresponding x values. Student entries of these values are automatically graded by the program.
- Instructors set tolerances and points for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tries on the Problem Setup webpage.
- Once students arrive in lab, the lab instructor / TA sets attendance inside the Chem21Labs' program . . . . this activates the link to the online submission part of the lab. If instructor wants to award "attendance" points, these are added automatically when the lab attendance is set.
- Instructors design Web Reports that Chem21Labs content specialists create. Web reports can be simple or complex.
- Student lab data - if students enter lab data during lab, instructors can click on this report (and continuously refresh the webpage) to quickly see the real-time progress of each student in lab. In addition, this report can be used to see if students are inappropriately sharing lab data within the lab or between lab sections.
- Student grades on specific lab calculations - this report is used to determine if "re-teaching" is needed on a concept.
- Accuracy / Precision Grades - percent yield, absolute error, relative error, percent error, R2, and standard deviation are compared against YOUR grading rubric . . . . rubric points are automatically applied to the student lab results and a customized, auto-generated comment is displayed to the student that provides the rationale for deducted points.
- Reported Precision of Lab Data - mass and volume data reported by the student are evaluated to see if it was reported to the correct number of decimal places.
- Significant Figures - calculations are deemed correct in real-time if the number falls between a range of values (i.e. ±1 in 3rd SigFig) or is expressed to a required number of significant figures. In contrast, significant figure web reports examine each student's data used in the formula of a calculated answer and determines the number of significant figures that the answer should be reported to for each individual student.
- Delayed Grading - calculations and multiple choice answers can be automatically graded after the due date. Instructors typically use this implementation for the grading of lab practicals and lab finals.
Anything you can do with the student's data in a spreadsheet can be done in a Chem21Labs Web Report . . . . just ask.
- Student lab reports can't be "lost" by TAs and it becomes a permanent grading record that can be reviewed by the Instructor.
- The TA / Instructor "version" contains links to change the student's grade (safety violations), delete student tries, view submission history, and extend the due date.
Identify the lab topics / issues you are most interested in and click the link to explore the high-tech solutions implemented by Chem21Labs.